Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Growth of a Flower Child: Eli Montgomery


“The world is my audience and I only want to entertain you.”

Eli Montgomery, a native of my hometown Aiken, South Carolina, is a young free-spirited singer/songwriter spilling his melody of life, romance, humor, and imagination through words.  He brings the bluesy sounds of rock, pop, and folk unruffled with a soulful edge.  Montgomery’s bright and humorous personality, old-fashioned look, and strong ethnic features bring curiosity to newcomers’ ears.  He is currently studying communications and Studio Art at the University of South Carolina, Aiken campus.


How did you get started with music?  Did you sing your first words? Ha!

“I started with music in the church choir growing up and I really enjoyed the feeling it gave me, but I never knew anyone that did it for a career other than celebrities it just wasn't realistic. Then at the age of 16 it all came together when I tried out for the high school choir at Aiken High. I just wanted to know if I could sing and how far I could go with it. I sang 'Ribbon In the Sky' for my teacher and she said you have some 'chops on you.' This was confirmation that there was a possibility of me pursuing this dream.”

What instruments do you play?

“I play the guitar and I dabble with the piano. I want to advance in guitar, but my next move is conquering the harmonica.”

Do you write your own material?  How about the instrumentation, is that all you as well?

“I'm writing all of the material for my album. But for the mixtape I have co-written a few songs with other great musicians and singers. At first I objected to doing that because I didn't feel I could relate with them, but when you’re in the moment working with other writers and they finish your sentence its a beautiful thing. My good friend and mentor, Shawn Guess, did the instrumentation for the album. He is amazing at everything! It's ridiculous! He is like the mad scientist of music. We started working together a few years ago before we decided to work on a solid project. The mixtape, Treehugger Society Vol. 1: Wildfire is done by a few musicians but the main producer on the mixtape is Pompey. I can honestly say he is a young Quincy Jones in the making. He picks up everything so fast its bananas.”

What inspires you?

“The details of life, theatre, history, nature childhood, and Disney.”

What about your leisure time?  Or do you consume yourself in your craft?

“I think my leisure is my craft there isn't a minute of the day other than school or work I'm not working at my craft. But I will say I love the outdoors, fishing, swimming, extreme sports such as skydiving, water rafting, bungee jumping, rock climbing, etc.”

You just released your first single 12:21.  Tell me about that.  What was the inspiration for the song?

“Well 12:21 happened in all of 6 minutes believe it or not. I was going through a lot with a female friend and it just happened. I had no intentions of making the song, I was about to go to sleep, and thoughts starting pouring onto paper. That’s why I always keep my handy dandy notebook right by my bedside.  The main idea of the song is a restless night missing someone.” 

You just released the video for it as well; did you come up with the concept for it?  How was it shooting the video?  Were you comfortable in front of the camera?

“Well, this was my first video and I'm a sucker for abstract visuals. But I wanted to keep it very simple this time around something that fit the mood of the song. I came up with the concept shortly after I wrote the song. Because if I can't picture what I'm writing its not going to turn out well. I can't lie I was nervous I haven't been in front of the camera too much yet. But its something I'm sure I'll get used to.”

Who shot the video?

“Kris Armstead he is an amazing photographer that did my first promo shoot a year ago. I asked him would he be willing to try film and shoot my video. He said, let him brush up on his craft and last September we shot the video, but released it in February of this year along with the single on iTunes and Amazon.” Behind the scenes look

When will you be releasing your debut?  Have you selected a name?

“I'm working on building a fanbase right now and getting my name out there before I release a debut album anytime soon. I'm sure sometime next year I'll release another single. But as of right now I'm focused on this mixtape, which, I am very proud of and excited about entitled, 'Treehugger Society Vol. 1: Wildfire' the release of the mixtape is aimed for June. The Treehugger Web Series will be released within the month of March. The Treehugger web series is a series of 9 live videos of songs from the mixtape.  But yes, the title of the album is Packlight.”

Are you signed to a label, looking to get signed, or are you going the independent route?  

“As of right now, no. If the opportunity comes for me to sign to a label if the timing is right, absolutely.”


You're quite the busy bee Eli!  I'm sure you're out performing and having a grand old' time!  Any performances coming up?

“Yes, of course! I have two upcoming shows March 2nd in downtown Augusta, GA at Casa Blanca Café and another at the University of South Carolina—Aiken on March 12th for Aiken Unplugged. Unfortunately, I can't set up a lot of shows due to my graduating in May, interning, and working. But as soon as that’s all over my main focus from the summer on is music.”


What is your goal as an artist?

 “Make music that the masses can relate too. The world is my audience and I only want to entertain you.”

Who would you like to work with in the industry?

 “A few producers I’d love to work with would be Max Martin and Dr. Luke, Mikal Blue, Rick Rubin, and Alex da Kid. A few artists I would like to collaborate with are Ellie Goulding, Priscilla Renea, Jennah Bell, Angel Taylor, Rascal Flatts, BB King, Sleigh Bells, Eric Clapton, J. Cole, Wyclef Jean, and Tracy Chapman. There are so many more and the list keeps growing!!”

What can we expect from you in the future?

“Great music and good times!”


Will 12:21 make it into your Top 10 songs? It's made it to mine!

Want to keep up with Eli and all his wondrous future endeavors?  Check him out on Tumblr, YouTube, & Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. Great getting to know who "Eli Montgomery" is! Sounds like this cat has a bright future ahead of him.

    ReplyDelete