Tuesday, February 7, 2012

DJ GMoney: Getting Personal With Mr. 8000 Himself!


"The best advice I would give is to stay humble."

Gary “DJ GMoney” Hawkins hails from South Jamaica Queens, NY.  Staying humble and keeping cool on the scene he has been DJing for 13 years.  Extremely hard working and passionate GMoney has DJ’d everything from Sweet 16 birthday parties and clubs to fashion shows and weddings.  He was recently featured DJing for the 20th Anniversary celebration for the movie Juice.  Don’t sleep on his skills!

What do you do in your spare time?

“I'm very big on movies. I love to watch movies I’ve never seen before whether its comedy, action, romance, etc. I also love basketball. I’ve been playing since before I was a DJ. Another thing I got into heavy the last few years is bowling.  I try to bowl like once a week if time allows.”



Are you involved in the community?  Mentor programs, etc.?

“Well, I was apart of a of company called "Life Camp," which is a program that gives children a vehicle to help them see a different aspect on life and help them pursue their dreams of being an artist, poet, or just a business person. I was a mentor for that program for about 4 years. Now I will be working with a similar company called "King of Kingz Foundation" where we will be going into the schools and I will be holding a workshop with the students and speaking about ways I started my business as a DJ.”



Who influenced you the most?  Any mentors?  Other DJs that you've seen over the years?

“The biggest influence for me was my dad & and the movie’ Juice.’ I say my dad because he grew up DJing as well.  He was a highly known DJ from Queens back in the day so I used to always hear his old tapes of him mixing at parties and he would tell me all the stories from back then and it drew my interest.  The movie ‘Juice’ because that’s what really got it started for me when I saw the DJ battle part in the movie I went crazy!

So I told my parents, "For Christmas this year I don't want any video games I just want DJ equipment," and they got it for me.  As far as mentors, most of the Radio DJ's on Hot 97 and other stations influenced me because I used to listen to them and think, "I could do that and do it better!" So, I would go home and try it. But my parents both are good with music so they were my MAJOR mentors. Anytime I would be in the house DJ'ing and I mess up they would come in the room and give me that  "You messed up" face.”



When did you fall in love with Hip-Hop?

“I always was a big fan of Hip Hop and music.  When I was little, any parties that I went to I was always the kid who wanted to dance and take center stage. I used to perform for the family all the time whether it was Michael Jackson or Usher or me doing the Harlem Shake.  My family loves music so we would dance and make a party whether it was 2 people or 200 so that energy just rubbed off on me as a DJ and now as an artist.”



How did you get into DJing?

“What got me into really being a DJ was just people asking me to do parties. I used to bring my DJ stuff out for family events only just to have music and people used to come and ask me to do other parties.  At first I told them no because I didn't see myself as a DJ but then my Dad told me to try it out and I did and the rest was history.”



I know you've been featured on BET's hit video countdown 106 & Park.  How did that come about?  Do you book everything yourself or do you have a team behind you?  Tell me about that experience.  Did you call your folks like, "Yo! I'm on 106 & Park!"

“My public relations firm, REP Media PR, got me on the show. The show was dope! It’s a national show so it was a great look for my career and I had a good time doing the show. I book most of my events myself though, yes. I do have some teams, Team G$Money, Shutdown Brothers, Team Lean, Power 5, and Co-Star Ent. Co-Star Ent. is my label me and friend Basco Rebenga started back in about 2005. Team G$Money is kind of like my street team so to speak. Power 5 is a management company I recently got a part of. They manage DJs.  Team Lean and Shutdown Brothers are both DJ crews I'm a part of.   Did I call my folks when I was on TV?  (GMoney laughs)  Well, they knew because I was promoting it all day before I was on so they kind of called everyone and told them I was going to be on!”



You've also been heard on Hot 97 & Power 105.1. What was that like?  Was it crazy in the studio?

“I had a few of my singles on those stations; "Twitter Dat", " Ya Know Dis," "Martin Lawrence," and "Queens and It’s Crazy."   I went up to Hot 97 a few years ago though when DJ Mister Cee invited me up there to exchange music. He called me up there because he heard about one of my records and he wanted to play it on the radio.”



You're a busy man!  What else do you have up your sleeve?  Anyone you're excited to be working with?  Any other projects?

“Right now I’m working more with music and recording and trying to produce. I'm working on a mixtape right now where I will be featured on a lot of the songs and producing some of them as well so look out for that!”



Who would you like to work with?

“As far as DJing I would LOVE to work with DJs like Kid Capri & Jazzy Jeff.  With music I want to work with Swizz Beatz, Pharrell, Black Eyed Peas, and Kanye West.”



I love how we can keep up with you through your YouTube channel and Twitter!  You have some heavy hitters getting behind you.  How was Russell Simmons?  

“Ah man that was dope!  I think he did the funniest drop for me ever!!!  He was cool and real supportive!”



I know that you've been on your grind for a few years now.  What has been your greatest moment/experience thus far?

“I think the BET 106 & Park appearance is one of my best achievements so far along with me DJing for the 20th Anniversary for the Movie ‘Juice.’  I also DJ'd for a "Salute the DJs" photo shoot for Dr. Jay’s alongside Big time DJ's such as Kid Capri, DJ Premier, DJ Prostyle and DJ Whoo Kid just to name a few. I was in the photo shoot as well.”



What advice would you give aspiring DJs?

“The best advice I would give is to stay humble. Also, if you’re going to start DJing you should learn from turntables the original way and just always promote and market yourself.”

Want to keep in touch with DJ GMoney?  Make sure to follow him via Twitter, Youtube, and Facebook!  Want DJ GMoney for your next big bash? Book him here: bookdjgmoney@gmail.com!

Photo courtesy of Gary Hawkins

No comments:

Post a Comment