Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Confessions of a Centaur: Writer & Spoken Word Artist Daven Oglesby



“I just remember a feeling of excitement hearing words being used in a way that made me think, laugh, get angry, feel emotions. I went home and started writing. I haven't stopped since that day.”

Daven Oglesby is the author of Like Oceans Turned Sideways, a collection of poems.

Born in Winston-Salem, N.C., he is a graduate of the great Bethune-Cookman University with a B.A. in English. He is a member of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc. and Sigma Tau Delta-International English Honor Society. He currently resides in Columbus, Ohio where he is working on his first novel and second book of poetry.


How did you get interested in the literary world? When did you begin writing?

“My interest in writing started as a child. I can remember being amazed at the way my hands felt simply writing my own name in pre-school. It wasn't much, but it made me happy seeing something I had done on paper.

My interest in creative writing got started in my 9th grade English class. I don't remember what author/poet we were studying, I just remember a feeling of excitement hearing words being used in a way that made me think, laugh, get angry, feel emotions. I went home and started writing. I haven't stopped since that day.”

Do you remember the first piece you ever wrote? How about the first piece you ever read?

“I do. I remember the first few poems I wrote actually. ‘The Year That Didn't End,’ ‘The Rain,’ ‘The Endless Staircase’ are the titles of them. They were my take on the things that I thought about at the young age of 14.

The first poem I ever read (of mine) was during my freshman year of college. One of the many organizations was having an open mic night. I got all dressed up and went. I sat on the stool they provided and with a soft voice recited a poem called "Be Your Man", one of the many love poems I had written in the four years prior. It wasn't my best performance but it was my introduction to spoken word so I'm glad it happened.”


I know you've already written and self published a book. Tell me a little bit about that?

“The best time in my career! I started my first book of poetry, ‘Like Oceans Turned Sideways’ in 2007.  It took me roughly two years to complete it. The finished book was published in March in 2010, two months shy of my college graduation. It was an exciting time for me because everything I went through during college was in that book. My main focus was Africa and my perspective on being black and wanting to know more about my ancestry. Love played a small role as well. It was also where I introduced my muse, Poetri.

The publishing process for it was extremely painless, thanks to Darnell Walker and Evolutionary Press. I first met him at a spoken word event in college. He handed me his card, which I kept and still have. He was the first person I contacted when I finally had the book done. He walked me through editing, layout and cover design. I am grateful to him eternally because without him and his company, my book wouldn't have been the success it was.”


I know you are extremely proud of your work. What was the response on it?

“I was shocked that so many people were waiting for it. From MySpace, Facebook and Twitter, I got numerous requests for copies. I was humbled by the responses. I think it didn't set in that I was a published author until I had an interview here in Columbus, where someone I worked with during an internship in Tennessee said my poem about Jena 6 made him feel like he was there. It shocked me because I didn't know he had read my book. I am grateful and humbled at the support my first book received and will always be.”


Knowing that you are a great writer, in sure you have something up your sleeve. What are you working on?

“I always have something. I'm currently working on a novel that will be loosely based on aspects of my life, and slowly collecting the poems I have written since ‘Like Oceans Turned Sideways’ to be released in the future.”


How can we keep up with you? Get a taste of your writing?

“You can follow me on Twitter: @soul_cypher or on Facebook: Daven Oglesby or by e-mail oglesbydj@yahoo.comMy writing lives on my blog


If you would like to purchase Daven’s literary debut Like Oceans Turned Sideways, feel free to contact him via e-mail or through Facebook or Twitter! You won’t be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment