Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Real D. Jackson


“If you don’t understand what making love is, I create the music that helps you find out.”


Look out ladies & gents!  D. Jackson is coming to a bedroom near you!  Okay, not literally, but this Cleveland, Ohio native is nothing to sleep on.  A multitalented young man, Drake (better known as D. Jackson), has proved himself in more ways than one.  With his Young Fly & Flashy team behind him he is sure to kick the door to the game down.


Who is Drake Jackson?

“Well, there's a difference between Drake Jackson and D. Jackson; Drake is the personality behind D. Jackson. He is where D. Jackson pulls his emotion. He's a lot more shy and laid back than D. Jackson is as well.”


How did you get into music?

“I honestly don't remember. I've been around music for as long as I can remember. My Granddad was a composer and a pastor so it's pretty much in my blood. Music has always been the friend and lover I've always leaned on.”


Tell me about your music.  What is your sound?  What are you bringing to the industry?

“My music is a mixture of many different sounds and genres. My sound is like an old school futuristic sound. Like topics the Isley Brothers would speak on mixed with the music maybe R. Kelly or Rico Love would produce. And that's only the beginning of my sound. I’m also a fan of Texas music so you hear a little bit of that style as well. One thing I definitely bring "back" to the industry is love. We've grown so far away from being in love or understanding what it feels like. Everything nowadays is about sex sex sex. That's cool and all but let’s talk about the love that should lead up to sex. If you don't understand what making love is, I create the music that helps you find out.”


What inspires you to write your own music?

“Anything from the way the wind feels when it blows against my skin to a serious heartbreak from the love of my life. Music to me is easy. Nobody can tell my story or experiences like me, so it inspires me to do so.”

You recently did a show, how does it feel when you hit the stage?

“Yes, I did a show out in Tampa, FL. It's like an out-of-body experience to me. I become the artist, the emotion, and the experience when I'm performing. It's funny to me because as soon as I leave the stage I turn into regular old Drake all over again.”
Drake began laughing in spite of himself

What is your favorite part of performing?

“When people enjoy what they see and hear. When I hear the screams or see the smiles or heart felt facial expressions. Really, when I finish and people run up to me and ask for CDs, autographs, and pictures. That really does it for me! It feels good.”


Do you think you're a sex symbol?  I'm sure the ladies love D. Jackson!

Drake laughs shyly
“I never looked at myself as this "sex symbol" until recently. But yeah, I think I'm the sh*t.  No, but for real I think that women love art, they love a man who can sing and make they're hearts feel what he is singing about. They love that kind of attention and that's what I give them. I say the things in my music that they wish a man would say to them. That's what makes me a "sex symbol".... And to top it off, I’m kinda good looking.”
He goes from straight face to laughing aloud


Who would you like to work with in the music game?

“There's such a long list. But off bat I would love to work with new comers in the game or under rated artists such as Jhene Aiko or Dom Kennedy. I listen to a lot of West Coast music.”


You just released a project, "Bedroom Melodies." What's the story behind that?

“Bedroom Melodies is my 1st EP.  It's really like a sneak peak of what my album will be like. It was just a little something to leave a taste of what I sound like in people's ears. It's definitely something you can get the love in your bedroom poppin’ with!”


How do you spend your time outside of the studio?

“To be honest, my mind is on a constant work clock. I'm always thinking of new song ideas. But I love roller skating, bowling, and I'm really big on go-kart racing. I'm the champ when it comes to that! Anybody that wants it, come see me!”

Do you have any other things going on?  Any outside ventures?


“I have an album dropping on February 22nd, which is my birthday, titled ‘Room 222’. This album will definitely be a must listen. There's something on it for everybody! I'm always doing collabs. I'm shooting about 3 videos that are coming out really soon. I'm working, working, and working. Not much sleep going on with D. Jackson. Anyone can check out my music and videos on my website.”

Photo compliments of Drake Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment